Wendy Thornton is a freelance writer and editor who has been published in Riverteeth, Epiphany, MacGuffin and many other literary journals and books. Her memoir, Dear Oprah Or How I Beat Cancer and Learned to Love Daytime TV, Memoir, was published in July 2013 and is available on Amazon and Kindle. Her mystery, Bear-Trapped: In a Trashy Hollywood Novel, was published in February 2015 and is available on Amazon and Kindle. She has won many awards for her work including most recently, second prize in New York’s Literal Latte essay contest. She was nominated for a Pushcart Prize, and has been Editor’s Pick on Salon.com multiple times. She was the organizer and first president of the Writers Alliance (www.writersalliance.org). Her work is published in England, Scotland, Australia and India.
- Those Lovely Family Moments, Adelaide Literary Magazine, March-April 2019 edition, in print and online, http://adelaidemagazine.org/f_wendythornton.html
- Measuring Light, The Lake Literary Review, Jan. 2019, United Kingdom, http://www.thelakepoetry.co.uk/poetry/wendy-thornton/
- Cognitive Flame Out, I Won’t Miss You, Sound of my Soul, and Grandfather the Mason, Raven’s Perch, July 2018, http://www.theravensperch.com/category/poetry/
- Ramblin’ Man, BioStories, Published in Dec. 2017, Featured story, Dec. 15-22, 2017 http://biostories.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Rambling-Man.pdf
- Never Underestimate the Ring of Fire, and Fire Tower, All for One, Issue #18, The Wild Word – http://thewildword.com/, 2017.
- The Physics of an Empty Room, The Lake, United Kingdom (http://www.thelakepoetry.co.uk/poetry/ Accepted for Publication, July 2016,
- In Summer, Men Die, and Sand Hill Cranes, White Ash Literary Magazine, Accepted for Publication, March 2016.
- Exit Covenant, Fiction Fix special issue, Poetry Fix, March 2016, https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/fullscreen/54904907/poetry-fix .
- Beach Scenes, Sheepshead Review, University of Wisconsin–Green Bay, Spring 2015.
- Bear Trapped: In a Trashy Hollywood Novel, Mystery, Feb. 2015, Amazon.
- Out in the Country, Wrap Around South magazine, Jan. 2015, http://wraparoundsouth.org/winter-2015/essays/out-in-the-country-by-wendy-thorton/
- Don’t Call Her California, accepted for publication, Dec. 2014, Crucible, Barton College, Wilson, N. C., http://www.barton.edu/crucible/.
- Exit Covenant, accepted for publication, Fiction Fix special issue, Poetry Fix, Summer 2015.
- Crickets, Blue Heron Review, Feb. 2015, http://blueheronreview.com/blue-heron-review-issue-3-winter2015/
- Inside Voices, Blue Lake Review, January 2015, http://bluelakereview.weebly.com/inside-voices.html
- Hanging at the Library, published Belle Reve Journal, August 2014.
- The Affairs of Dragons, Hippocampus Magazine, published June 2014. http://www.hippocampusmagazine.com/2014/06/affairs-of-dragons-by-wendy-thornton/ Also, Honorable Mention, New Millennium Writings, Jul 2014.
- Beautiful Women, Wretched Lies, White Ash Literary Magazine, April 2014, http://www.amazon.com/Moon-White-Literary-Magazine-Volume/dp/1496167910/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1403282287&sr=8-14&keywords=Wendy+Thornton
- Cognitive Flame-Out, Honorable Mention, Avalon Literary Magazine Poetry Contest, March 2014.
- Me and the Boys and that Fun Trip to New Orleans, Dirty Chai, Issue 2, Adventureland, March 2014, http://issuu.com/dirtychaimag/docs/dirtychaiadventurelandpdf
- Secrets like a Flock of Geese, Wind on the Horizon, Managing your ADHD, Connotation Press, Issue V, Volume V: January 2014 (http://www.connotationpress.com/fiction/2177-wendy-thornton-fiction).
- Don’t Call Her California, Kind of a Hurricane Press, Semi-Finalist, Editor’s Choice Award (http://editorschoiceaward.blogspot.com/).
- Viking Dreams, The Abstract Quill, http://theabstractquill.com, July 2013.
- Dear Oprah: Or How I Beat Cancer and Learned to Love Daytime TV, Memoir, 270 pages, Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dear-Oprah-Learned-Daytime-ebook/dp/B00DNPQMBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372683540&sr=8-1&keywords=Dear+Oprah%2C+Wendy+Thornton, July 2013.
- Why Are You Here, Spring 2013, The Redline: Writing for Citizens of the Global City (http://overtheredline.com/category/excess-page/)
- The Queen Victoria Syndrome,” Diverse Voices Quarterly ((http://www.diversevoicesquarterly.com/the-queen-victoria-syndrome/Spring 2013.
- Change Your Mind, Published, “New Plains Review: A Journal of Social Commentary,” Fall 2012.
- Lying Still, Halfway Down the Stairs, http://www.halfwaydownthestairs.net/index.php?action=view&id=365index.php?action=view&id=365 , June 2012.
- I’m Not Writing About Robin, 2nd Place, Essay Contest, Literal Latte, 2012.
- If I Knew How, This is the Sound, Appassionato, in: Love and Other Passions, Poets of Central Florida, A Contemporary Anthology, Volume 11, Feb. 2013.
- Donegin Takes on the God of the Sea, published, Epiphany Magazine, Dec. 2011.
- Children Singing, New Verse News, 9-11 special issue.
- New Galaxy, published Summer 2011, Poetry Quarterly, online (http://poetryquarterly.com/) and print journal.
- Cedar Key Eulogy, Falling Star Magazine, (http://fallingstarmagazine.com/home) print edition, Summer 2011.
- Sea Oats, April 2011, Oklahoma Review, Cameron University, for Fall 2011 online edition.
- Lambent Astronomy, Foliate Oak Literary Journal, Dec. 2010, http://www.foliateoak.uamont.edu/archives/december-2010/poetry/lambent-astronomy-by-wendy-thornton
- How to Save a Life, Midwest Literary Magazine, Published online http://midwestliterarymagazine.com/archives/ (p.14) and in Print Issue, “Bearing North,” November, 2010 (ISBN/EAN13: 1456365002 / 9781456365004).
- First Law of Thermodyamics, (Volume No. XI – http://www.survivorsreview.org/features.php?vol=11&art=161)
- Bereft But with Options, The Battered Suitcase, December, 2010, http://www.vagabondagepress.com/01201/V3I3FF2.html and print journal.
- Kerouac’s Dog, In: the British Journal, Kerouac’s Dog (name of magazine and poem), Bristol, U.K., Feb. 2011 issue.
- Reunite Pangea, The Earth Comes First, Nov. 2010, http://www.theearthcomesfirst.com/W.%20J.%20Thornton%20-%20Reunite%20Pangea.htm .
- Whispering Queen, Nautilus Engine, Vol. 4, #2, http://sites.google.com/site/rnwrrn/volume-4-number-2.
- Here Comes the Sun, Shaking Like a Mountain, Dec. 2010 Issue.
- Smoke Signals, Fineline Magazine, Dec. 2010, http://thefineline00.wordpress.com/issues/
- Mount St. Helen’s Green, Published Sept. 2010, Writing Raw, http://www.writingraw.com/fiction.html
- Building a Fire, The Dog is Disappointed in Me, Published in an anthology “Dogs Singing,” by the Irish publisher, Salmon Poetry, (http://salmonpoetry.com/index.php).
- Margaret and the Two-Inch Tomato, Published online, The Bright Light Café, http://www.brightlightmultimedia.com/BLCafe/ShrtStories-MargaretAndTheTwoInchTomato.htm August 2010. Also requested for publication in English Language Translation textbook for school students in India, from madhubunbooks (http://madhubunbooks.com.
- Shipbreakers, Hiram Poetry Review, Hiram College, Ohio, Spring 2010.
- Saving Your Life: Victoria Bryant – Main Street Rag, Jan. 2010.
- Delegation from the Local Movie Scene, In the Muir Woods, Spiritual Pirate, Summer 2009, Underground Voices, Los Angeles, CA (http://www.undergroundvoices.com/UVThorntonWendy.htm)
- Bones, Saw Palm, Florida Literature and Art, University of South Florida, published – first print issue and online, Summer 2009.
- Derek and the Poets, Oregon Literary Review, ISSN 1556-0325, Spring 09 Issue (http://orelitrev.startlogic.com/v4n1/OLR-thornton.htm)
- Manifest Destiny – Shadowtrain, Sept. 2008
- Finding Lizzie – MacGuffin Magazine. Spring/Summer Issue, July 2008.
- Talking Southern to My Dogs, Southlit.com, June 15, 2006
- Training Ken, Riverteeth (University of Nebraska Press), Volume 6, Number 1, Fall, 2004
- Traveling Light, Confluence, (Ohio Arts Council), Volume 15, 2004
- Old Boyfriends, South Dakota Review, Volume 42, No. 1, Spring 2004
- The Widow in Her Weeds, Literary Review, (Farleigh Dickinson University, NJ), Fall/Winter 2003 Edition)
Recently Published Articles
- Should You Self-Publish – WAG Blog Site – Publishing in Sept. 2016
- How to Find an Agent – and What to send Them, WAG Digest, March-April 2016 – http://writersalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/2016-Mar-Apr.pdf
- Shut Up and Dance With Me What to Do When You Can’t Write, WAG Digest, July Aug. 2015. http://writersalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/2015-Jul-Aug-WAG-Digest.pdf
- The Need For Culturally Responsive Teaching, nobullying.com, (Oct. 2014); http://nobullying.com/culturally-responsive-teaching/
- What I Learned From Doing My Own Kitchen Remodel,com, (Aug. 2014); http://www.knowerly.com/stories/53f18a91466f7206d5c30000-What-I-Learned-From-Doing-My-Own-Kitchen-Remodel
- Football Orphan to Football Widow: How to Adapt to Sports Fanatics, Hub Pages, (Sept. 2014); http://floridawendy.hubpages.com/hub/Football-Orphan-to-Football-Widow-How-to-Adapt-to-Sports-Fanatics
- Caveman Throwback – Appreciating Your Man’s Wild Behavior, Hub Pages, (Aug. 2014); http://floridawendy.hubpages.com/hub/Caveman-Throwback-Appreciating-Your-Mans-Wild-Behavior
- Higher Ground: Respecting Animals, Hub Pages, (Sept. 2014); http://floridawendy.hubpages.com/hub/High-Ground-Respecting-Animals
- Finding the Right Dog: So You Think You Want a Labrador Retriever? 5, 2014, http://voices.yahoo.com/finding-right-dog-12475421.html?cat=9
- Teaching Your Children the True Meaning of Christmas, 16, 2013 http://voices.yahoo.com/teaching-children-true-meaning-christmas-12456651.html?cat=25
- Living in a College Town When You’re not a Student – December 6, 2013, http://voices.yahoo.com/living-college-town-re-not-student-12433467.html?cat=8
- Finding the Right Dog: So You Think You Want a Husky? November 23, 2013, http://voices.yahoo.com/finding-right-dog-12419123.html?cat=53
- Shopaholic: Get Your Spending Under Control, March 27, 2013, http://voices.yahoo.com/shopaholic-spending-under-control-12065704.html?cat=46
- Things Men Do that Women Won’t, March 12, 2013, http://voices.yahoo.com/things-men-women-wont-12040454.html?cat=7
- Help Your Children Protect Their Environment: 14, 2013, http://voices.yahoo.com/help-children-protect-their-environment-12018671.html?cat=25.
Recent Honors and Activities
- Invited Reader, ArtSpeaks Poetry Presentation, Thomas Center, Gainesville Fl. Aug. 2016
- Writers Alliance Speaker Series, “Outlining or ‘Pantser,’” May 2016
- Writers in the Woods – Publishing in the Modern Age, Invited Presenter, March 2016
- Hippodrome Theater Panel Discussion – invited speaker, Jan. 24, 2016 – panel on “’Collected Stories:’ Who Owns Your Story”
- Publishing I and II classes – Jan. 2013 to April 2016 – Santa Fe College Community Education
- Invited reader – ArtSpeaks: A Celebration of Poetry, August 2015.
- Scribes of the Sunshine State, Matheson Museum, November 2014.
- Invited Reader, Harn Museum Nights, Sept. 2014
- Invited Reader, ArtSpeaks: A Celebration of Poetry, Aug. 2014
- Teaching, Santa Fe College, Publishing in the Modern World, Community Education, March 2014, June 2014
- Project – 30 Poems in 30 days for National Poetry Month – April 2014 (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpRUcbQs6vJGnSgNEpMN0TA)
- Listed as fiction, poetry, essay writer in Poets & Writers, Nov. 2013.
- Invited reader, ARTSPEAKS: A Celebration of Poetry, Aug. 2013
- Member, Professional Editors Network, July 2013
- Judge – Melrose Library Literary Contest, Feb. 2012; Instructor, Memoir – Jewish Women’s League, March 2012
- Editor’s Pick, salon.com – Saying Goodbye to the Space Shuttle, 28, 2011; Celebrating the Thin Cats; Technology Town Hall Editors Pick, Feb. 3, 2010; O-O-O-O-Bama Go Home (And take care of yourself!) – Oct. 30, 2008
- Nominated, Gainesville Spirit Award for service to local writers, 2011
- Invited Reader, Saw Palm print magazine launch party, Winter, 2009.
- Nominated for Pushcart Prize, MacGuffin Magazine, for “Finding Lizzie.”
- President, Writers Alliance of Gainesville, 2009, 2010, re-elected for 2011, newsletter editor, WAG Digest
- Glimmertrain, Finalist, Very Short Fiction Award, January 2005.
- Member, Gainesville Poets & Writer; Florida Writers Association
- Directory of American Poets and Fiction Writers, Sept. 2005
Recent Books Edited
(This list consists of published books only – a number of authors whose books
I have edited are currently seeking agents)
Medical Madness: Meet the Golden Rule by Dr. George Huber
Sunday Grief, By Renee Sunday, M.D.
Young Adult Books:
My Dad Wears Prison Blues, By L. J. Hamon
In and Out the Dragon’s Mouth, (Adventures of Gunnar, Volume I), Lemoy M. Malden
Chasing Your Dreams, Dr. John Holt
Public Garden Management: A Global Perspective (Vol. I), Dr. Bijan Dehgan
Public Garden Management: A Global Perspective (Vol. II), Dr. Bijan Dehgan
The Rose of June, Janie Blackwood
Midshipman Porter In Harm’s Way: The Porter Saga (A Porter Saga) (Volume 1) Jack Owen
Teaching – Santa Fe College – Community Education
Publish Your Work:
An Exploration of Publishing in the Modern World
Part I and II
Week 1 – Review of types of publishing: – Powerpoint presentation
- Formal publishing houses
- Editor/Agent submissions
- Blog spots
- Consumer Magazines
Week 2 – Review of student publication requests
- Who are you publishing for?
- General audience
- Academic audience
- Personal, i.e., family members
- What types of material do you have?
Week 3 – Review of materials from students. Individual requirements based on specific materials.
- Self-publishing options
- Agents and publishers
- Submitting to literary magazines
- Submitting to commercial organizations
Week 4 – Self-publishing or publishing house
- Marketing your work
Week 5 – Preparing your manuscripts, individual review
Week 6 – Review of manuscripts, closing